Wednesday, March 4, 2009

If I knew then what I know now....

So I got my first bill from the higher education system today and it's time to start paying off my student loans!! Ahh. $208.00 a month for the next four years and then it will increase to who knows how much. How crazy is that? I guess I never thought I'd be paying it back so soon or that I would spend so many years paying it off. It's really kind of depressing. Four years of college turns into ten years of debt. As much as I enjoyed the higher education if I had to do it all over again I probably would have only attended on scholarship and if that didn't work out I would have just gone to a two year trade school, got a degree in something that would get the bills paid and called it good. Unless of course I had stuck with the plan to become a doctor in which case all this debit would have paid itself off in due time. That's what I get for becoming lazy and losing my motivation. Getting that bill in the mail sure did spark the fire again though, maybe going back to become a doctor isn't such a bad idea after all. This is definitely the kind of situation where I sit back and say to myself If I knew four years ago what I know now I would have done things much much differently, I guess it's just one of the wonderful journeys my life is being filled with so I can't complain. There are however lots of other things I know now that I wish I had know when I was younger.... So I decided to create my list of things I wish I knew then that I know now...
1. Marriage, while fun really is not easy. And everyone that says their marriage is perfect and they love it all the time is full of crap. Thanks girls for the heads up after I got married :).

2. If you want something done, do it yourself. I've learned throughout the past couple of years living on my own with roommates and now my lovely husband that complain about things other people don't do isn't going to make them do it any faster or at all for that matter. So I am better off just doing it and avoiding the drama.

3. Good friends are hard to find. When you find ones worth fighting for, you need to do whatever it takes to keep them around. And never take them for granted because they might have to leave this world before you know it.

4. Hard work doesn't always pay off. My parents used to tell me that if you work hard enough good things will happen. That isn't always the case, I worked hard for four years in college and got a piece of paper that says I'm smart and ten years of debt. How did that pay off?

5. Don't talk about people unless you're ok with them finding out what was said. Because no matter what some way some how they always seem to find out.

6. Don't sweat the little things in life, because 20, 10, 5 years from now it's really not going to matter! ( this would have been nice to know when I was in Jr. high and High school. I for sure wouldn't have gotten angry or cried about such silly things.)

7. Don't speed down the same road twice if you got caught the first time. Cause otherwise the cops just think your special and will wait for you to do it again. (Third times a charm)

8. Sorry doesn't always make things better if you keep doing the same things wrong, really changing and not doing whatever you did wrong in the first place will make things better.

9. Don't go down dirt roads past your curfew unless you plan on getting in double trouble.

10. Staying up for a party when you know you have to work at seven in the morning is not a good idea, really take my word on this one.

I have a couple more they involve boys and college life, things that I'll probably save for my kids someday, things that my parents never warned me about. Things I probably should not share with the world...






No comments:

Post a Comment